Sunday, July 1, 2012

Getting the Groove

This week marked my second week and my first full week of work! I am loving the foundation and all the people at it.

This week I have given numerous research and data projects for donors and different events. While not the most glamorous work, I've have learned time and time again that it is the little and least exciting things which helps the most. These tasks are the small cogs which make events and meetings possible, and I am more than happy to do this and be exposed to new things!

Also on Wednesday Dr. Bruce Charash, founder of Docs to Docks, came in to talk about his organization. Made as a commitment to the Clinton Global Initiative, Docs to Docks collects recyclable or unused medical equipment that would be discarded from hospitals and sends them to needy clinics in Africa. Dr. Charash told us stories and the way his organization is run. It is truly a great cause and an even greater idea. However, one point that I disagreed with Dr. Charash was in sustainability of the program. Yes, the deliveries to African hospitals can last up to two years and gives them critical equipment, but after those two years, what comes next? Does the cycle continue? Yes those shipments may save countless lives, but what about the lives once the supplies are exhausted? Some of these questions weren't answered.




I also got to hang out with the other interns and staff in the office. All the interns are great and it makes the experience much more enjoyable. As I have found out, a number of them know a lot of fellow Dickinsonians, and some of my good friends! Small world.

I can't wait to get into this internship more, I have a feeling some great stuff is about to come my way!

MH

P.S. Happy 5 months Shannon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment